A Laser distance sensor can actually help in detecting, counting, triggering, mapping, scanning, profiling, and verifying levels, proximities and distances. A laser distance sensor takes assistance from a laser beam to find out the distance to an object. It operates on the principle of time of flight. It sends a laser pulse in the form of a narrow beam towards the object and then measures the time taken by the pulse to be reflected off the target and returned to the sender.
In simple words, a laser distance sensors helps in finding out the distance from the observer to a target.
How does a laser distance sensor work?
A laser distance sensor works on some basic fundamental principles. The laser distance sensors releases laser beams at the push of a button. These laser beams bounce off distant objects and the sensor’s high speed clock determines the total time that it took from when the beam got released until it returned to the sender.
Applications of a laser distance sensor
There are many uses and applications of a laser distance sensor. For example, a golfer can use them to measure the distance travelled by the ball to hit an object. Hunters can also use them to measure the distance to a deer, an elk, or others. Laser distance sensors have some other uses too, such as for military. They can be used to scout an area and search for military targets.
Advantages of a laser distance sensor
There are some advantages of a laser distance sensor mentioned below.
- One can expect a really quality performance: A laser distance sensor contains a high quality optics and display, advance software system, longer battery life and some additional features that can be used for the sports it is made for.
- One can use it on any weather: There are many laser distance sensors that can give correct and accurate measurements irrespective of the harsh or extreme weather conditions.
- Easy and simple to use: Laser distance sensors are easy and simple to use. One doesn’t need to complete a course for this. But it is advised to get familiarized with the basic concepts of using a laser distance sensor. Each unit of a sensor contains two gears streamlined into one.
- It gives faster and accurate shots: A laser distance sensors provide accurate measurements as well as faster and accurate shots. Along with this, the sensor also reduces chances of mishap shots which may cause one to lose the target.
Disadvantages of a laser distance sensor
Along with the advantages of using a laser distance sensor, there are few disadvantages too. They are mentioned below,
- It is not lightweight: Although, the laser distance sensors are very helpful and useful but they are not lightweight to use. Having the sensor with double optics means more weight.
- As the price increases quality also increases: It is really hard to find a laser distance sensor economically along with some high qualities. So it is really pricey to get the sensor with really high quality optics.