Many businesses seeking professional help with search engine optimization wonder whether to hire an SEO agency or an SEO firm. While the terms are sometimes used interchangeably, there are notable differences between agencies and companies, when it comes to SEO services.
An SEO agency is a marketing firm that provides multiple services to clients, including but not limited to search engine optimization. They may offer pay-per-click advertising, content marketing, conversion rate optimization, and other digital services. SEO is not necessarily their sole focus, but one of many specialties. Agencies build customized packages and campaigns to help businesses achieve specific marketing goals based on their needs. This integrated approach allows seamless execution across different channels. Since SEO agencies handle various clients and projects, account managers are assigned to be the main point of contact for strategy and reporting. While you likely won’t work directly with a specific in-house SEO expert, the account manager oversees the collective agency team handling your campaign.
Alternatively, an SEO company specializes specifically in search engine optimization as their core service offering. They don’t provide other digital marketing channels. These dedicated SEO firms focus entirely on executing organic search strategies. Rather than account managers, you’ll have direct access to communicate with your skilled SEO expert or team responsible for managing the ins and outs of your campaign. Their sole purpose is optimizing websites for higher rankings, traffic, leads, and sales through search engines. An SEO companies near me uses a methodology that includes technical audits of a website, keyword research, link building, content creation, and tracking of search engine results. The depth of their SEO expertise is an advantage.
Which is right for my business?
Weigh the following factors when deciding if an SEO agency or dedicated SEO company makes the most sense for your needs.
- If you only want to improve your organic search presence, an SEO company may provide more focused expertise. For integrated digital marketing, an agency often works best.
- Evaluate the background, experience, client results, and specialties of each provider. Align with your goals.
- Compare communication styles. Agencies use account managers while SEO companies provide direct access to optimizers.
- Look for an established track record serving businesses similar to your size and industry.
- Consider the location for local search optimization. Many focus on specific geographic regions.
- Review costs. SEO companies sometimes have lower fees than full-service agencies.
- See if they offer one-time projects or ongoing contracts. Define your budget and timeline.
- Examine tools, reporting, and analytics used to demonstrate ROI. Optimize spending.
- Check for satisfied client reviews and proven success in meeting goals like yours.
By weighing these key differences, you determine if you should partner with a broader marketing agency or a niche SEO company to maximize your search visibility and results. Be sure to consult with multiple providers before deciding. Ask specific questions to assess their abilities to deliver the organic growth your business needs. Taking the time to make the right choice sets your SEO campaign up for success.