RIM announced ‘Blackberry protect’ last July as a limited beta service. Now it is available as open beta for all the Blackberry users. BlackBerry Protect is an all-in-one security tool for helping users recover their lost or stolen phone and prevent unwanted access to their personal data.
BlackBerry Protect offers GPS tracking, remote lock and wipe (including SD card data), and the ability to display a pop-up message on the device or force a loud ring to aid in location. The app also allows users to perform periodic wireless backups or force one on-demand. That means you can remotely push all the data you meant to sync just hours before you misplaced your phone. Data can be restored wirelessly as well.
The BlackBerry Protect app lets you:
- Find a missing phone on a map using GPS and cell-tower triangulation.
- Remotely lock your phone or set a password.
- Activate a special ring to help locate a missing phone — even if the phone is in silent mode.
- Send a message to your phone letting anyone who finds it know how to return it.
- Backup all of the data from your phone .
- Securely wipe all the data from your phone and SD card remotely.
The features could be activated from the‘Blackberry protect’ web portal remotely. The bad news is that the beta is only available for the users in USA and some geography of Latin America The rest of the world still has to wait for some months before they can lay their hands on this beta.
‘Blackberry protect’ is not available for handsets that use Blackberry Enterprise Server or Blackberry Enterprise Server Express.