The Toshiba Satellite A665D-S6051 ($799.98 list), available at Staples, is a member of the company’s new A660 line of 16-inch multimedia laptops. This retail model is based on AMD’s new Vision platform and features a quad-core AMD Phenom II P920 processor. 4 GB DDR3 equipped, and 500 GB SATA hard drive. most users will be better served with a dual-core chip with a faster clock speed and lets everything you want for everyday computing.
Its application performance is still respectable, though gaming isn’t much of an option because the A665D-S6051′s uses integrated graphics. Along with ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics provides exceptional features, performance and power efficiencies that enrich what you see and do.
It sports a 16-inch widescreen TruBrite HD LED-backlit display, ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics card, DVD-Super Multi drive, HDMI, integrated webcam, Wi-fi, and 6-cell battery. The laptop runs on Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system.
The A665D-S6051 is the Johnny Cash of laptops, dressed all in black. The lid, keyboard deck, screen bezel, keyboard, and touchpad are all black, presenting a monochromatic and fairly attractive appearance. Thanks to textured pattern that runs across the chassis, the laptop doesn’t pick up fingerprints too easily. For a model that kicks off a new line for Toshiba, however, there isn’t anything particularly noteworthy or striking about its overall look. The laptop weighs 6.5 pounds, average for its size.
The A665D-S6051′s audio is the star of the show. Two Harman Kardon speakers reside above the keyboard behind oval-shaped grills, and they produce booming sound, for a laptop anyway. Most integrated laptop speakers suffice for Web video, are barely passable for a feature-length films (particularly those with soft dialog or loud explosions)
Toshiba Satellite A665D-S6051 serves up a suite of user-inspired features, like Sleep and Music for enjoying tunes through your laptop speakers without having to power up. The Satellite A665D-S6051 also is great for using as a media center with the touch-sensitive media keys placed above the keyboard.
The laptop offers a useful collection of data and video connections. You get four USB 2.0 ports (one of which doubles as an eSATA port), HDMI and VGA ports, and a media card reader and ExpressCard/34 slot. The combo USB/eSATA port offers Toshiba’s Sleep-and-Charge feature, which lets you charge cell phones, MP3 players, and other USB gadgets.
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
- 1.6 GHz AMD Phenom II P920 quad-core processor
- 4 GB DDR3 RAM (expandable to 8 GB)
- 500 GB SATA hard drive (5400 RPM)
- 16-inch widescreen HD TruBrite LED-Backlit display
- ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics card
- 8x SuperMulti DVD drive with double layer support and Labelflash printing
- Integrated Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking capabilities
- Fast Ethernet (10/100)
- Harman Kardon stereo speakers
- Dolby Advanced Audio
- 4 total USB ports with 1 eSATA/USB combo port
- HDMI high-definition audio/video output, VGA output
- Microphone input port with Sleep and Music functionality plus headphone output jack
- Multi-format memory card reader
- ExpressCard (34/54) slot
- 6-cell battery
- Dimensions: 14.98 x 10 x 1.48 inches (WxDxH)
- Weight: 5.8 pounds