Sony, the company behind the PlayStation family of hardware and the video games associated with it, has announced that PlayStation Home in Japan will host a Christmas-themed event for two weeks starting on December 9th. The Japanese version of its PlayStation Home social space will have a Christmas themed area that will offer a special experience for two weeks starting with December 9.
The list of companies which will make appearances in Christmas Home includes:
- Ubisoft with Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood
- Ark System Works with Arcana Heart 3
- Capcom featuring Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
- Q-Games with PixelJunk Shooter 2
- Koei Tecmo presenting Dynasty Warriors Online
- Konami with Castlevania Lords of Shadow
- Square Enix featuring The 3rd Birthday
- Spike with Dangan Ronpa
- Sony Japan with both Gran Turismo 5 and Loco Roco
- D3 featuring Dream Club Portable
- Nippon Ichi presenting Disgaea 4
- Namco Bandai with Tales of Graces F
Sony did not disclose what sort of presents to expect from these companies, only who’s coming and what they’ll be showing off. However, in a separate announcement Capcom revealed that starting on December 16th, visitors to the Monster Hunter lounge will receive a free pig named “Puugi.” Puugi is a pet, not a table or trophy, so it can walk alongside you. No word on whether Puugi can dance.
It’s not clear why Sony is limiting the Christmas event to Japan considering that some of the titles included are also interesting to Western gamers and the company could generate some more sales through the extra public exposure. The open beta for PlayStation Home was launched way back in 2008 and the service allows gamers to create an Avatar and navigate a virtual space while interacting with other gamers and being exposed to specialized content created by third parties.