The new Sony Reader Touch Edition has its work cut out competing with the all-new UK-specific Amazon Kindle. It doesn’t have integrated wireless, you can’t buy and download books without hooking it up to a PC, and it’s considerably more expensive too.
In terms of quality, the screen is the same size and resolution as the PRS-505. The updated e-Ink screen here, has 16 levels of grayscale, though, making images look more detailed than on the previous model’s screen. The main difference is the PRS-350 has a 5-inch screen instead of a 6-inch screen so it is considerably smaller and lighter. The other difference is the PRS-650 has SD and Pro Duo memory card slots and has a headphone jack for listening to MP3 and AAC audio files, while the 350 does not. Despite the similarities between the two, the reading experience is actually quite different.
As with previous Sony eReaders, it’s possible to create Collections. The default ones contain books you haven’t read and recently purchased ones, but you can create your own. This is handy if you’re catching up on an entire series of titles and want to group them together. Reading a book is dead simple, with a swipe of the finger on the screen used to turn a page. A gentle thumb-brush is enough to turn a page, but there are also dedicated buttons at the bottom left. The screen’s incredibly quick to update and the touchscreen interface smooth and responsive to use. The screen’s incredibly sharp and the contrast is perfect for reading large volumes of text.
Book support is excellent with the commonly-used ePub and PDF (standard and protected versions of each) both used by the device. You can use either Sony’s Reader Library software or Adobe’s Digital Editions to manage the device. However, if you opt for Adobe’s software you first have to install Reader Library to get the correct drivers.
- Display: 6-inch E Ink Pearl touchscreen with 800 x 600 resolution and 16 levels of gray scale.
- Battery Life: 10,000 pages, approximately 14 days; 3.7 V DC, 940 mA.
- Dimensions: 6 5/8 x 4 3/4 x 13/32.
- Weight: 7.58 oz.
- Memory: 2GB, plus SD card slot and Pro Duo card slot for cards up to 32GB.
- Formats: Adobe ePub and PDF, BBeB, TXT, RTF, DOC and DOCX (gets converted to RTF), JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, MP3, AAC.
- Built-in audio player, 3.5mm headphone jack.
- Comes in Black and Red; and silver in some countries.
- 2 English dictionaries, 10 translation dictionaries.
- 6 font sizes.
To Buy Sony Reader PRS-650 Pocket Edition from Amazon, Click Here.
Check out Sony PRS-650 Pocket Edition Review video,