Redsnow 0.9.6b4 was just recently released by iPhone Dev Team and jailbreaking would be the next thing to do. This updated version is based on Geohot’s Limera1n bootroom which has already owned all current iOS devices. The iOS 4 based iPhone 4, iPad, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch models have to attach with a PC or Mac to boot into a jailbreak update. The iOS users have to attach to PC each and every time when their device losses power or needs reboot. Everyone other than the ultrasnow unlocked user can avail the update and the ultrasnow unlocked device users have to wait for a while for the update.
Before we get into the process, let’s have a brief description first of what is jailbreaking. It is a process that allows iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch users to gain root access to the command line of the operating system thus removing any limitations imposed upon them by Apple. Having successfully done this, the user could already download themes and extensions which is not available through the App Store via installers such as Cydia as well as installing non Apple operating systems.
Follow the step by step instructions posted below to jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 with Redsn0w 0.9.6b4:
- Step 1: Download iOS 4.2.1 for your version of iOS device.
- Step 2: Update/Restore to iOS 4.2.1 firmware using the IPSW file you just downloaded via iTunes 10.1.
- Step 3: Start Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 and point it to iOS 4.2.1 firmware to proceed with the jailbreak.
- Step 4: Now select “Install Cydia” and click “Next”. Optionally (if available), you can also select any other option you like.
- Step 5: Now make sure your device is both OFF and PLUGGED IN to the computer before you click “Next”.
At this stage you will be presented with a screen where you will have to quickly hold “Power” button and then while holding the “Power” button, you will now have to hold “Home” button too. Now after few seconds release “Power” button but keep holding “Home” button until installation begins.
- Step 6: Sit back and enjoy while redsn0w will do all the rest for you. Once done, your iPhone or iPod touch will restart automatically and you will find it jailbroken on the latest iOS 4.2.1 firmware.