Evatran’s Plugless Power charging station, unveiled this week at the Plug-In 2010 Conference, consists of a a permanently mounted car adopter along with a fixed parking block and control tower. An adopter-equipped vehicle need only pull up to the parking space, and the parking block automatically begins charging.
The Plugless Power unit works via the combination of a parking block installed on a garage floor or parking lot, a connected tower that detects if the car is charging (and also has a cord option), and finally a unit installed underneath the bottom of the car itself. The parking block and the device installed under the car wirelessly connect when the car drives over the block, and the battery starts charging.
There’s just one problem: the Plugless Power station doesn’t always work. According to Evatran, the charger will be about 90% effective, which means that the other 10% of energy released is wasted. Still, it’s a start. And just imagine how much easier EV charging will be when we don’t have to think about it.
The plug-in units will go on sale for around $3,000 and the proximity upgrade will cost $800. So by April 2011 you can buy one of these systems for $3,800.